As we continue our quest to find a few healthy options for our diet (not followed by cookies the size of our head:), this cabbage salad was so bright and pretty, we had to try it! Now, in case you didn’t know, Tracey hates shredded lettuce and cooked cabbage. But give her any kind of fresh crunchy cabbage and it’s devoured! The crunch is one the best parts of this salad in addition to the sweetness from the apples and honey. Absolutely delicious!
Keep in mind, this recipe makes a huge salad! Enough to feed a big ol’ family for Sunday lunch. But it keeps for several days for leftovers. Just keep that in mind when deciding your portions.
Vibrant Red Cabbage Salad
This salad is so crunchy and delicious and colorful which we love! Keep in mind that it makes a big salad, enough for a big ol’ family Sunday lunch, so proportion accordingly. We made it anyway and ate off of it for days, it was so good!
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1 head of red cabbage, cored, chopped or shredded
1 cup red onion, diced
1 cup walnuts, chopped, but not too fine
2 apples of your choice (chopped, quartered, or thinly sliced)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons vinegar
- Start by making your delicious vinaigrette. Combine the first 7 ingredients (in italics). Oh, go ahead, take a taste and get it like you like it – you’re going to love it!
- Place your cabbage in a bowl and sprinkle in your lemon juice, mix well. This keeps the red from the cabbage from ‘bleeding’ onto all of your ingredients.
- Place your apples in a bowl or Ziploc bag and sprinkle in your lemon juice, toss around to coat. This also helps keep your apples from browning. I so wish I’d have used green apples for color in this recipe but any kind tastes amazing!
- In a large bowl, combine all of your ingredients, except the vinaigrette, and mix well.
- Now pour your delicious vinaigrette over the salad and combine it all together.
- Serve right away or chill for later. Store leftovers and serve for a couple of days.