If you are a raspberry fan, and love crumbly cookie bars, y’all, this is for you! T is not a huge raspberry fan but knew her mother-in-law is so we made these for Mother’s Day and they were a hit with the family (and with us!). The great thing about this simple recipe is you could really substitute the raspberry with other fruits of your choice and they would be delicious!
Raspberry Crumble Bars
Ingredients for Filling
2 12 oz bags of frozen raspberries
1/2 cup sugar (you can add more if the berries are extra tart!)
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Juice from one lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- Ingredients for Crumble
3 cups old-fashioned oats (we use Quaker)
3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups brown sugar (not packed, loose is fine – taste it too!)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups (yep!) of melted butter (salted is best)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions for Filling
- Place raspberries in a colander and run warm water over them for a minute or so. Let them drain for about an hour, they should be soft. After that hour, they will seem a tad mushy, and that’s okay, but you can use a spoon or your hands to press out even more juice.
- Combine the raspberries with your other filling ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350. Combine all of your crumble ingredients in a large bowl until it’s well combined and forms a crumble like mixture.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with Baker’s Joy (or however your normally grease your baking dishes and pans) and fill it with 1/2 to 2/3 of your crumble mixture. Press down lightly. Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove crumble from oven and pour in your raspberry filling and spread evenly.
- Pour your remaining crumble mixture on top and spread out over the filling.
- Return to oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let set up for a bit. You can cut them warm but they will be more crumbly. We placed ours in the fridge and let them chill until they formed a firmer bar, ate them chilled, and also set some out to get to room temperature before serving. Either way is delicious!