Staying with Cinco de Mayo this week, we are sharing a new favorite, our southwest spicy cheesy casserole! It’s so good, it’s like going to an authentic Mexican restaurant and getting a big ol’ bowl of all your favorite things!
Southwest Chicken & Rice Bake
1.5 cups brown rice uncooked (white or brown will work)
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 yellow onion diced
15 oz. canned sweet corn drained and rinsed
15 oz. canned black beans drained and rinsed
1 lb. raw boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
16 oz. jar salsa (choose your favorite!)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 cup Colby Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray your favorite large casserole dish with Pam cooking spray.
- Add all of your ingredients EXCEPT the cheese to the casserole dish. Mix together to make sure everything is in the liquid.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for one hour.
- Uncover and top with shredded cheese. Return to oven, uncovered, and bake for about 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and beautiful.
- Remove from oven and let dish sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. It may appear a tad liquid-y but it will settle.
- Top with cheese, green onions, jalapenos, sour cream… anything you’d like or nothing at all. It’s delicious just as it is!