You may want to hide these once they’re made because they’re so dang good, you may not want to share! If you love lemon, you’re going to love these crumbly lemon bars.
Lemon Crumble Bars
7 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup of oats (whole oats or quick oats, I used whole)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 can sweetened condensed milk
6 tablespoons lemon juice (I squeezed two lemons to get this)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a square 8 x 8 pan or spray with Baker’s Joy. You can also line it with parchment paper but that’s not my jam.
- In a mixing bowl, add your butter and brown sugar, and beat with a hand or stand mixer on medium for about a minute or until combined.
- Scrape your mixture from the sides of the bowl down into the bowl and add vanilla extract. Beat again until all combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add flour, baking powder, oats, and salt. Beat on medium until combined. Mixture will still be crumbly – so that’s great!
- Pour a little over half of this mixture into the baking pan and press lightly to make a crust – do not press too much. Bake for 12 minutes.
- While that’s baking, mix in a bowl your sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest together. Whisk until combined. The mixture will be a thick lemony filling.
- Once crust is done, remove from oven and pour your filling all over the top, and spread. Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture on top and gently spread it out – it will not cover the entire top but don’t worry, those pieces will bake in just the right places!
- Return pan to oven and bake for 23-25 minutes, depending on your oven, or until you see the edges lightly browned. Mine took 23 minutes; avoid over-baking.
- 10. Remove from oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting and serving.