Being at the beach this week got us in the seafood frame of mind! Beautiful tasty shrimp in a garlic-tomato sauce, mixed with some olives and feta, so rich in flavors! This recipe also called for artichokes, which we’ve never had, but they are so healthy and combined with the sauce and flavors in this dish, they were so tasty! If you are not an artichoke fan, they can be omitted, and feel free to substitute with another cooked vegetable of your choice.
Mediterranean Garlic Shrimp Bake
1 pound large shrimp (frozen or fresh; if frozen, thaw before cooking recipe)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced (about 2 teaspoons)
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, it does add heat)
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 can artichoke hearts drained and quartered (14 oz)
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons parsley
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a rack in the center of your oven.
- Peel and devein shrimp, if not already done, and rinse. Pat dry and place in a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, toss to get them all covered, and set aside.
- We recommend using an ovenproof skillet for this step but we didn’t have one with us so we used a frying pan. Heat your pan with a little olive oil. Add onion and sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat as needed so that the onion softens but does not brown. Add your garlic and cook about 30 seconds. The kitchen will be smelling so good!
- Add the tomatoes (don’t drain), oregano, and red pepper flakes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add in your red wine vinegar and honey. Remove pan from the heat.
- If using a skillet at this point, continue to next step. If using a frying pan, transfer your ingredients to an oven-safe baking dish.
- Layer the artichokes and olives over the top, then arrange the shrimp on top in a single layer. Sprinkle on your feta as your top layer.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. You want those tomatoes bubbling, the cheese to just be turning brown, and the shrimp cooked through.
- Squeeze your lemon juice all around the top of your dish, sprinkle your parsley on top, and enjoy!
- This can be served over pasta or rice, we had pasta and used that, but we would eat this dish simply with some great garlic bread!
- If we had it to do over, we would combine all the ingredients in the skillet or baking dish instead of just layering them, then cover with feta cheese before baking.