We started out doing a recipe we found in a magazine and we simply didn’t like it – if we don’t like it, we ain’t sharing it! So B decided to come up with his own and good Lord-a-mighty, it was better than any recipe we could have used! T is not a kale fan, you can leave that out, but even she found it added a little hint of great flavor. This made enough for us to do a large casserole dish to freeze and serve next week and a small casserole dish just for our supper, yummmmmmy!
Cheesy Sausage Potato Bake
1 pound sausage
2 pounds potatoes peeled and diced
1 whole onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
2 heaping tablespoons of shredded Parmesan
4 cups packed kale or spinach (optional)
1 cup of chicken broth
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
2 to 3 cups of shredded cheese of your choosing
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Break apart sausage in a frying pan and brown. Remove sausage from pan and set aside; leave grease in the pan.
- Add potatoes into pan with thyme and salt and pepper. Stir often until potatoes begin to become tender and browned, almost a roasted look. About halfway through this process, add onions.
- IF YOU’RE NOT PLANNING TO USE KALE OR SPINACH, SKIP NEXT STEP.
- Remove onions and potatoes from pan, set aside, and add garlic and butter to pan. Saute for about 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and kale (or spinach). Stir and cook until the kale or spinach is wilted. Spread your Parmesan over it about halfway through and stir it in with the mixture.
- Combine your cooked sausage, potatoes, kale or spinach in a bowl. Add one cup of shredded cheese and combine well.
- Put mixture into a casserole dish and spread over the top your can of cream of mushroom soup and then top that with your remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- Optionally, turn on the broiler, and let it sit under that for a few minutes to brown the top.