When B mentioned this soup, T’s face went white, lol. She did not expect to like barley, but now, it’s on our list of favorite soups! The flavors and textures in this dish are so good together!
B’s Beef & Barley Soup
1 1/2 Pounds of Chuck Roast
1 1/2 Pounds of Chopped Potatoes
2 Carrots (1 cup chopped)
1 Medium Chopped Yellow or Sweet Onion
2 Ribs of Chopped Celery
4 Cloves of Chopped Garlic
1 can (6 oz) Tomato Paste
2 Tablespoons of Beef Bouillon
2 Teaspoons of Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil
1/2 Teaspoon of Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
2 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
6 Cups of Beef Broth
2/3 Cup of Barley
- Cube your roast into bite size portions. Be sure to trim out any fat.
- Brown and sear meat in a pan with your vegetable oil. Once done, do not drain, add all to the crock pot. The broth it creates just adds flavor!
- Add all other ingredients EXCEPT the barley into the crockpot and stir.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours. We prefer cooking on low when we can.
- Add the barley when there is about an hour or so left to cook.
- Serve when ready! Store leftovers in the fridge or freeze for later.