Who doesn’t love a good ol’ potato soup? Every Christmas, for as long as Tracey can remember, her Mama would cook potato soup for Christmas Day lunch. She misses it and no one can repeat the way her Mama made it… part of the memories.
Yesterday, Barney realized we had sausage in the fridge and potatoes in the pantry – and he had an idea! The flavors with that sausage…. it was so good, we each went back for seconds at lunch! Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Creamy Potato & Sausage Soup
1 1/2 to 2 pounds of potatoes
1/2 pound of sausage (we use Jimmy Dean hot!)
2 cups of chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 medium onion chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour (optional if you want to thicken)
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 teaspoon thyme
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Peel and cube potatoes and place in a pot. Add your thyme, salt and pepper to taste, and two cups of broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium heat.
- Brown sausage in a frying plan. Remove when browned and drain.
- In the pan, add olive oil, onion, and garlic. Saute until tender or until onions are almost clear.
- Add your sausage to the pot of potatoes (do not drain potatoes!).
- Add onion/garlic mix and milk to potatoes. Stir well.
- Add butter to potatoes. Stir well and drool while it melts.
- Bring all to a boil.
- If you want to thicken your soup a little, add your flour a little at a time, so it doesn’t clump. Stir often until it’s dissolved into the soup.
- Add parmesan cheese. Stir this bubbly pot of goodness well.
- 10. Reduce to a simmer for about an hour.