We love our skillets and anytime we can use it, we’re going to. This chicken dish is delicious and full of rich flavors from garlic to mozzarella, tomatoes and spices, and juicy tender chicken. And it’s great served over rice or all by itself but you just have to add some crusty bread for dipping in the sauce it creates!
Garlic Mozzarella Chicken
Ingredients for Chicken
4 chicken breast fillets
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
- Ingredients for Sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/3 cup minced sweet onion or shallot
4 garlic cloves minced
1/4 cup white cooking sherry (or white wine)
1 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and dried basil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 can of diced tomatoes
3 more tablespoons dried basil or chopped basil leaves
2 packs of mozzarella balls (or chop your own)
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Red pepper flakes to sprinkle (if you want a little heat)
- We recommend doing all the chopping and mincing first and having everything ready to go! And preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Season the chicken on both sides with the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet on med-high. Add the chicken fillets and cook for about 5 minutes on each side until browned. Remove from skillet and place on a plate, cover with foil.
- In same skillet, put in garlic and onion, and cook about 2 minutes. It will smell so good! Add in wine and simmer for about 2 more minutes. We used a wooden spoon to stir and kind of scrape the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Now add in the rest of your salt, black pepper, 1 teaspoon of dried basil, and tomato paste. Cook and stir constantly for about 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and combine. Add your tomatoes and bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place your chicken into the skillet, kind of nestle them in there between all that sauce.
- Add remaining basil and mozzarella cubes all around. Sprinkle a little red pepper flakes (optional of course) and grated parmesan. Let simmer for 5 minutes as the flavors combine and the chicken is cooked through. Mozzarella will start to melt – gahhhhh.
- Then for your finishing touch, place skillet in oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve and enjoy!