T loves a bundt cake because it’s a challenge and just so pretty when it works! But more importantly, we both love anything lemon, and this cake has it in the cake and the delicious syrup and glaze! So flavor-full! It is beautiful as a cake but it can also be cooked in loaf pans (this recipe could do two loaf pans) and in mini-loaves to wrap up as gifts and treats! Enjoy and let us know what you think! Original recipe from The Monday Box.
Italian Lemon Bundt Cake
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup unsalted butter softened
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs room temperature
1/3 cup lemon zest
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon unsalted butter melted
Directions for Cake Mixture
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray cake pan with Baker’s Joy (or butter and flour your pan really well).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together your flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- In your mixer bowl, cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs one at a time as you cream the mixture. Then add in your lemon zest and blend a bit further.
- Start adding in your flour mixture and then buttermilk mixture, alternating each, until all is in and well blended.
- Pour your mixture into your cake pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (we use our cute little cake tester – still cracks me up that we have one of these, it was B’s!).
- Let cake cool on a cooling rack for about 2 hours or until completely cool.
- Directions for Lemon Syrup
- In a small mixing bowl, combine lemon juice and granulated sugar. Microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir until the sugar is dissolved into the juice.
- Brush the top of the cake all over.
- Let set for 30 minutes.
- Directions for Lemon Glaze
- Whisk together your powdered sugar, lemon juice, and butter until smooth.the confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, and butter until smooth.
- Spread the glaze over the cake and watch the magic happen!
- You can dive in right away but let set an hour or so before wrapping up or storing.